BMW Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

5w-30 or 10W-60 in an M54 @ 140 000 km now ?

 
frischmoutt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2010
Hello Pete, Floyd, Scott, BFD853,

I throughly read all the information that you guys provided the past days
and followed your recommendations.

I read about the breather valve on a forum (I think that it's the same as
you're speaking about), it's connected to the base of the oil gauge tube.
The guy said that he replaced it (and a procedure is provided) withourt any
major improvement. Of course it's not a reference !
For the moment I didn't consider it since the oil consumption increase
coincidates with the new oil service made with 5W-30 and the work needing to
be performed is rather consequent.
I'll do it in a second attempt if the oil consumption doesn't get back
within the rails.
I've numerous figures to compare to because I'm a kind of paranoid,
monitoring oil consumption since 0 km.

Concerning the oil, I definately abandoned the idea to use 10W-60. I did a
search on google and found several possibilities for 0W-40 & 5W-40..
Considering some facts, and as already pointed out in a previous message you
sent, I'm wondering if LL-04 is really necessary: The car has been built in
Aug. 2001, it's not a diesel, in consequence, I may assume that LL-01 grade
could be used, although today BMW specifies LL-04. LL-04 has been developped
for diesels engines and may also be used in gas engines. LL-01 satisfies
current BMW's needs. So, the reply looks to be "No".
OTOH, in 2007/2008 the BMW dealer even put 5W-40 Labo Carat and in
2008/2009, 5W-40 Castrol TXT Softec that both were LL98 specified !

Mobil-1 0W-40 looks to be a good deal, however my fear concerns the
hydraulic tappets that might get noisy until the engine is warm enough. For
an analog reason (clearances due to wearing) I also fear a loss of oil
pressure in cold.
=> Any advise please ?
I had this issue with my old E30 (180000 km), I tried all sorts of
oils/viscosities and did not manage to cure it. Not worth to replace the
tappets, I left them clicking until I sold it.

For Floyd's information, about the LL-04 oil in the US, I read that it has
some bad reaction with the ethanol and may causes problems. For this reason
BMW wouldn't recommend it outside Europe
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1422995

Best regards


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2010

> Castroly Syntec 0w-30 carries BMW LL-01 spec. Syntec 0w-30 is actually
> made in Germany and is the equivalent of the European Edge 0w-30, which
> means it is a different (better) formulation than all the other Syntec
> grades.
>
> Pete
>
>


I was told that Castrol Edge was the retail name of the bulk supplied
Castrol SLX III.

Regards

David


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave Plowman (News)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2010
In article <ian3qk$qge$(E-Mail Removed)>,
David <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I was told that Castrol Edge was the retail name of the bulk supplied
> Castrol SLX III.


You can't rely on any name. Just the actual spec. The name - like Syntec
or whatever can apply to many different specs over time. Think Mobil 1.

--
*I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder *

Dave Plowman (E-Mail Removed) London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Pete
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-02-2010


"Scott Dorsey" wrote
>>Castroly Syntec 0w-30 carries BMW LL-01 spec. Syntec 0w-30 is
>>actually
>>made in Germany and is the equivalent of the European Edge 0w-30,
>>which
>>means it is a different (better) formulation than all the other Syntec
>>grades.

>
> Hmm... my FLAPS doesn't even have that stuff in their book. Is it
> available
> from the US distributors?
> --scott


In the US, Syntec 0w-30 (Made in Germany) is only sold at AutoZone and
PepBoys, as far as I know. If you're near Canada, Canadian Wal-Marts
carry it, too.

Pete


 
Reply With Quote
 
Pete
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-02-2010


"frischmoutt" wrote
> Mobil-1 0W-40 looks to be a good deal, however my fear concerns the
> hydraulic tappets that might get noisy until the engine is warm
> enough. For
> an analog reason (clearances due to wearing) I also fear a loss of oil
> pressure in cold.
> => Any advise please ?


If you don't like M1 0w-40, and since you're in France, why not give
Motul a try? Their 8100 X-cess 5w-40 should work well in your
application.

Pete


 
Reply With Quote
 
David
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-02-2010

"Dave Plowman (News)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <ian3qk$qge$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> David <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I was told that Castrol Edge was the retail name of the bulk supplied
>> Castrol SLX III.

>
> You can't rely on any name. Just the actual spec. The name - like Syntec
> or whatever can apply to many different specs over time. Think Mobil 1.


Or even GTX. ;-)


>
> --
> *I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder *
>
> Dave Plowman (E-Mail Removed) London SW
> To e-mail, change noise into sound.


I had an Audi that used dealer supplied SLX LongLife, but could not use SLX
LongLife II, and when the dealer started using SLX III, I emailed Castrol
for the specs.
They replied something like 'SLX III is available retail as Edge'.

Confusingly, there are more flavours now.

regards

David


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Plowman (News)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-02-2010
In article <iapbv4$jl8$(E-Mail Removed)>,
David <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > You can't rely on any name. Just the actual spec. The name - like
> > Syntec or whatever can apply to many different specs over time. Think
> > Mobil 1.


> Or even GTX. ;-)


> I had an Audi that used dealer supplied SLX LongLife, but could not use
> SLX LongLife II, and when the dealer started using SLX III, I emailed
> Castrol for the specs. They replied something like 'SLX III is
> available retail as Edge'.


> Confusingly, there are more flavours now.


Indeed. I've seen different versions of Magnatec (same viscosity) on the
shelves of Halfords at the same time and the same price.

--
*Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now *

Dave Plowman (E-Mail Removed) London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
 
Reply With Quote
 
frischmoutt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-02-2010

"Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
ianqjt$sff$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>
>
> "frischmoutt" wrote
> > Mobil-1 0W-40 looks to be a good deal, however my fear concerns the
> > hydraulic tappets that might get noisy until the engine is warm
> > enough. For
> > an analog reason (clearances due to wearing) I also fear a loss of oil
> > pressure in cold.
> > => Any advise please ?

>
> If you don't like M1 0w-40, and since you're in France, why not give
> Motul a try? Their 8100 X-cess 5w-40 should work well in your
> application.
>
> Pete
>

Hello,
Sorry, probably a misunderstanding due to the language.
I said that M1 0W40 was on the top of my selection.
however, prior to using it I need to get advices concerning the potential
draining of the hydraulic tappets after several hours (days) of rest.
Best regards


 
Reply With Quote
 
David
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2010

"Dave Plowman (News)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <iapbv4$jl8$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> David <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > You can't rely on any name. Just the actual spec. The name - like
>> > Syntec or whatever can apply to many different specs over time. Think
>> > Mobil 1.

>
>> Or even GTX. ;-)

>
>> I had an Audi that used dealer supplied SLX LongLife, but could not use
>> SLX LongLife II, and when the dealer started using SLX III, I emailed
>> Castrol for the specs. They replied something like 'SLX III is
>> available retail as Edge'.

>
>> Confusingly, there are more flavours now.

>
> Indeed. I've seen different versions of Magnatec (same viscosity) on the
> shelves of Halfords at the same time and the same price.
>
> --
> *Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now *
>
> Dave Plowman (E-Mail Removed) London SW
> To e-mail, change noise into sound.


Really ??

No wonder there is so much confusion around which oil to use...

How about this, in 2004 I bought a 320d SE that was two years old. The
handbook stated that the oil in the engine must meet BMW LL-01, the same as
in their six cylinder petrols, but the viscosity was not as important as
meeting BMW LL-01.
The book also stated that the four cylinder petrols (valvetronic), must only
use oils meeting BMW LL-01 FE spec, and the two were not interchangeable.
Now, though, all those engines can use BMW LL-04 spec oils.

I tried Magnatec a few years ago, the additive package was exhausted after
about 3,000 miles or 7 months ish. I liked the idea of the oil molecules
clinging onto the surfaces. Whether it did or not I don't know.

BTW, a while back, Mr. Plowman, you were asking about a set of oil seals for
your 528(?) and there was one that you didn't know where it went. I was
wondering if it could have been for the oil filler cap as the seal ?

Regards

David


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Plowman (News)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2010
In article <ias0m5$lbh$(E-Mail Removed)>,
David <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> BTW, a while back, Mr. Plowman, you were asking about a set of oil seals
> for your 528(?) and there was one that you didn't know where it went. I
> was wondering if it could have been for the oil filler cap as the seal ?


Ah. Didn't think of that. But it was the sort of seal that goes on a shaft
of some sort - rather like the sort between crank pulley and front cover.
But not so large.

--
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist

Dave Plowman (E-Mail Removed) London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
E36 SEDAN 1994 157.000 km (100.000 miles) Dirk BMW 3 Series 0 04-25-2007 04:39 PM
Re M54 Troika BMW M5 Series 0 05-18-2006 09:27 PM
Oil in 3.0l engine (M54) Gino Zantafio BMW M5 Series 0 02-06-2004 07:26 PM
are M54 engines known to have thermostat issues ? Zantafio BMW M5 Series 0 08-14-2003 11:02 AM
DSC Computer - 99 740il - $1,000??? DS BMW 7 Series 0 08-09-2003 03:07 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:18 AM.